Spicy Moroccan Soup
- 1 tbs polive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2.5cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp saffron threads
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed well
- 2⅔ cups cooked chickpeas, drained
- ⅔ cup chopped coriander and parsley
1. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-7 minutes or until softens. Add the garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin and chilli powder. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Soak the saffron threads in 2 tablespoons of boiling water.
2. Add the saffron threads and liquid, tomatoes, stock, water and lentils to the pan. Cover and bring to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Add chickpeas and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the coriander and parsley. Season to taste, and top with a dollop of yoghurt (optional) and sprinkle with extra chopped parsley.