Top ten Gardening tips for January
- Give garden beds a deep watering in the cool of the day once or twice a week. (Make sure you follow the current water restriction guidelines).
- Keep potted plants and hanging baskets well-watered. Move them into a cool spot when theres a hot, dry wind.
- Top up mulch on garden beds to a depth of 5cm, keeping it away from the stems of plants. Mulch suppresses weeds and prevents water evaporating from the soil.
- Plant herbs, lettuce, radish and silverbeet in full sun in your vegetable garden.
- Grow annuals for brilliant colour - marigolds, petunias, snapdragons and zinnias. Remove dead blooms regularly to extend the flowering period.
- Feed vegetables and flowering annuals with a suitable liquid fertiliser.
- Raise the height of the lawnmower cutting blades so the grass is a little longer (about 50mm.). The extra length of leaf blade will shade the soil and stop it from drying out in hot weather.
- Maintain shrubs in an attractive shape by trimming off any spent flowers. (Lavender will retain its shape and produce more blooms if lightly pruned after flowering.)
- Enjoy the summer fragrance of the angels trumpet, frangipani, gardenia and rose.
- Clean out the birdbath and refresh the water daily for our feathered friends. They like to keep cool, too!