Sydney Wholistic - Focus on Energy
When was the last time you felt really good? And I mean really good!
Do you remember the days when you bounced out of bed in the mornings, excited and energised? Have these been replaced with the desire for a really good sleep in? When did this change happen? Can you pinpoint the day you lost your energy?
For many of us, loss of energy is something that sneaks up on us. The reduction in our energy most often happens so gradually that we don’t notice the change from one day to the next. The sad thing is that we actually get used to feeling low in energy and this becomes our new “normal”.
Sydney Wholistic located in Dee Why on the Northern Beaches, close to Manly, Warringah, Pittwater and North Shore areas specialises in naturopathy including herbal medicine and hormonal balancing.
Fatigue is a common condition and is often misunderstood or even dismissed. This may occur if there is no identifiable ‘cause’ from diagnostic procedures, such as blood tests, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t want to strive to be, and feel, you’re best.
Why am I so tired?
Within our cells are very small things called mitochondria. Mitochondria are like little batteries that provide energy for our whole body. These mitochondria require several specific nutrients in order to produce energy at an efficient rate. If any one of these nutrients is not available, or if the mitochondria are damaged, the energy we have available goes down.
What you can do to help boost your energy
Getting back to basic good living takes the load off your mitochondria and can really improve your energy. Try some of the following to help improve your energy production:
- Get adequate, regular and consistent amounts of sleep each night
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet and drink plenty of water throughout the day
- Exercise regularly
- Learn better ways to relax
- Avoid too many stimulants such as caffeine, foods high in sugar and alcohol
For some people, just making these changes is enough to put the bounce back in their step. Most people, however, need more intensive support than this.
Optimising Energy Production
Most of us are comfortable with the fact that our bodies use the fat and carbohydrates we eat to produce energy. But how does this happen? Fat and carbohydrates cannot get into the mitochondria by themselves. They need other nutrients to open the gates for them, to allow them into the mitochondria where they are turned into energy. Two of the key nutrients that allow this to happen are N-acetyl carnitine and lipoic acid.
- N-acetyl carnitine acts like a shovel to transport fat into the mitochondria, while lipoic acid opens the gates for carbohydrates. As well as improving our energy, lipoic acid is also useful for balancing blood sugar and can be helpful in reducing cravings for sugary foods. You can see from the way they work why both of these nutrients are so effective at speeding up weight loss too!
- CoQ10 is also vital for healthy energy production in our cells. CoQ10 protects our mitochondria from day-to-day damage and acts like insulation around an electrical wire. Without insulation around the electrical wires in your house, energy does not reach its correct destination, and we would have no electricity to run our lights, fridges or computers! The same is true with CoQ10, if we do not have enough to insulate our “wires” we don’t have enough energy to function properly, and we feel tired.
- Omega 3, or fish oils, are vital for keeping the membranes of our mitochondria stable and healthy. If our omega 3 levels are too low, the mitochondria can become damaged. Over time, this damage accumulates and gradually we produce less and less energy, making us feel gradually more and more tired. Over time this can make a big difference to your energy levels.
The simple way to more energy
Just increasing your levels of these four key nutrients is a fast and effective way of boosting your energy. If you’re really tired, the thought of taking four separate supplements probably seems like too much effort! Luckily, supplements are available that combine these nutrients and other essential vitamins. Sound easy? It is! Please phone to find out more and make an appointment to discuss your energy needs today. Then you can look forward to improved energy and vitality!
For more information regarding naturopathy, energy, adrenal fatigue, digestive problems, hormonal balancing and herbal medicine, contact Sydney Wholistics, Dee Why, Warringah on the Northern Beaches.